My SteakTartare that might just blow your brains out
Idit said it was one of the best steak tartare she’s had in years, and as a reputable foodie (her, not me), that was music to my ears, enough to share the recipe with Y’all. Much like almost any dish, “the” secret is in fresh and high-quality ingredients. Here goes:
- 250 gr (~0.5lb) finely chopped filet mignon
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- My choice of carbs: Freshly baked & chubby (Pita-like) Naan bread
Dressing for the meat
- 3/4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tbsp Yuzu sauce (alternate with lemon if not available, but highly recommended)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg (don’t break into the dressing! add to the mix before serving!)
Garnish + extra kick
- 3 finely chopped cornichons (those cute tiny pickles)
- 1 small yellow pepper (can be spicy but not mandatory – you have enough spiciness, theoretically)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Put the meat in the fridge while preparing the rest, take it out no more than 3 minutes before serving
- Add 1 tbsp of lemon extract to the finely chopped avocado, mix up
- Take out the meat, mix with dressing, including the egg and chopped onion. Mix well until you get a smooth and consistent texture.
- Plate with avocado as a base, add the meat atop the avocado, add coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, sprinkle the garnish and gently place the thyme on top + some olive oil for closure. You can add Parmesan on top for one last enhancement.
- Serve with the Naan bread for perfect scooping
Although seemingly complex, this one is actually pretty easy. Try it and let me know how it went. BONAP!
P.S Winners’ tip: add light-bodied red wine to guarantee a transcendental experience 🙂